PRIMARY PURPOSE & FUNCTION
Develop an effective discipleship program that will partner with parents to lead students into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Implement ministry programs for students and families.
The Youth Minister provides vision and overall leadership for church’s ministry to students, 6th to 12th grade, and their families. The success of the Youth Minister will depend on their ability to manage and empower a team of lay leaders as they work in their own duties and service. This highly people-oriented position requires proven skills in teaching, organization, management, leadership, detail thinking and creative innovation to take Student Ministry to the next level. It is the desire of the elders of WCC that all leaders live above reproach as good examples to the body of Christ.
1. Development, execution and maintenance of student connections and education.
• Work with the Senior Minister and the Children’s Minister to develop, implement and evaluate a comprehensive student ministry program that works within the overall vision of the church.
• Oversee all Sunday morning and Sunday night youth programming, mid-week events, the planning of lessons, group discussions and activities, as well as service projects for students from 6th to 12th grade.
• Provide volunteers and all resources necessary to lead effectively.
• Provide regular training for Youth Ministry volunteers.
• Work with the other organizations that utilize our building to maintain a positive relationship and effectively use our shared space, including our Children’s ministry.
• Communicate regularly with families of students through all forms of media.
• Equip and train parents to be the spiritual leaders of their students.
• Recruit volunteer staff.
• Maintain and uphold appropriate stands of conduct and operation.
• Oversee a comprehensive volunteer screening database and ensure a strong safety standard for Youth Ministry.
4. Other Responsibilities
• Provide effective leadership for the Youth Ministry.
• Be equipped and available for occasional ministry staff pastoral care and counseling.
KNOWLEDGE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
• Must maintain a vital and growing relationship with the Lord through Bible study, prayer and meditation.
• Must possess the characteristics of a leader and the ability to lead staff and volunteers in their ministries.
• Must possess the ability to communicate with multiple people through various forms of communication including email, text, networking sites etc.
• Must have good organizational skills.
• Must be able to meet deadlines and word under pressure.
• Must have the ability to handle conflict and listen to members concerns.
• Must have a heart and passion for Student Ministry and building strong student programs.
• Senior Minister
• Christian Education Department to coordinate plans with other ministries. (6 per year typically held on odd numbered months).
• Joint Leadership Team by preparing and presenting a written summary of youth activities and plans to monthly leadership meetings.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Degree in a related field
• Minimum of 4 years experience